Western Shipping Safety Seminar – 28 Nov to 29 Nov 2018 – Manila
MANILA SAFETY SEMINAR 2018
Venue: Marco Polo Hotel, Ortigas, Ballroom AWSPMTC Room 1806 A
Date: 28th – 29th Nov 2018
Slogan: Safety is a way of life.
Invitation was extended to all Filipino officers working in Western Shipping fleet. Travel and accommodation facilities were arranged for the officers visiting Manila at a convenient hotel near the office (Go Hotel).
The seminar was organized for seafarers working on our tankers as well as bulk carriers. Common topics were introduced as necessary, whilst separate presentations were conducted on specific topics for tanker officers and bulk carrier officers on the second day of the seminar.
For the Tanker fleet, attendance comprised of 31 officers (Juniors = 23 / Seniors = 8).
Western Shipping Pte Ltd (WSP) was represented by:
- Capt Belal Ahmed / Managing Director
- Capt Rukshan Vohra / Fleet Personnel Manager
- Capt Niladri Chakraborty / SQA Manager
Western Shipping Southeast Asia Inc (WSSI) was represented by:
- Adm Bayani Gaerlan / President
Western Shipping Manila Training Center (WSPMTC) was represented by:
- Capt Alban Castellino / Consultant
- C/Eng Romulo Malapit / Head of Training Center
On the first day (28th Nov 2018), presentations were conducted combined to the tanker and bulker staff. Marco Polo Hotel Ballroom A was utilized for conducting the seminar on this date. Combined attendance was 74 participants. Refreshments and lunch was provided during the course of the seminar.
On the second day (29th Nov 2018), presentations were conducted separately for tanker and bulker staff. The WSP Tanker officers were accommodated in WSPMTC Room 1806 A, whilst the Bulk Carrier officers were accommodated on the Roof Deck seminar room.
Contents of the seminar
DAY 1 : Combined Function Room Marco Polo
- Purpose of Seminar theme- objective of the safety seminar
- Safety Matters / New Regulations – IMO DCS/SEEMP II
- 2020 Sulphur limit & Water Ballast, Cyber Security,
- C/O Saura Safety Presentation
- VIQ – September 2018 / difference from previous edition
- Capt. Gonzalbo Safety Presentation
- Collision Regulations
- Bunkering Issues
- Reflective learning – SHELL safety campaign
DAY 2 : Tanker Sea Staff at Training Centre
- Technical / Maintenance Issues
- Key issues VIQ7/ Principles of Risk assessment
- Risk Assessment Exercise
- Crew matters + Training including Cadets Training/ Ratings to Officer Program/Pumpman Program/ WSPMTC
- Navigation Safety / AMOS M&P / AMOS QS
- Website + WSP App Update + Crewing Matters
- Q & A, Miscellaneous issues
The Seminar was opened by WSSI President, RAdm Bayani Gaerlan. Topics later discussed were as per the above agenda. Good interaction between presenter and attendees was noted during all presentations.
On Day 2, the new ECDIS / GMDSS Simulator room was inaugurated. Amongst the VIP invitees were:
- Marina Administrator – Admiral Narciso Vingson
- AMOSUP President – Dr Conrad Oca
- AMOSUP – Johny Oca
- IMEC – Capt Mike E.
- IMEC – Dan T.
- MAAP – Capt Diofonce T.
- Marine Inc (representing Transas) – Liam Murphy
Feedback forms were collected from all attendees and collated in order to incorporate improvements next year.
On Day 3, WSP’ Family Day was celebrated with over 400 attendees including seafarers and their families.
DAY 1 MARCO POLO HOTEL
DAY 2 WSPMTC ROOM 1806 A
General feedback received indicated the seminar to be a success. All arrangements made were impeccable. Punctuality was maintained throughout the seminar by the attendees. Interactive exercises, including Risk Assessment played an important part in improving the overall seminar.